Easter & The Bunny!




So this is my first Easter as a parent. I have been surprised by a lot of things I never really thought of before I was a dad. The other night my wife Rachel asked me what we should do for Easter?

I was thinking what do you mean?
It's been long since I thought about the Easter Bunny and eggs or chocolate that litter the store shelves. I really didn't know what to think. I hadn't pondered it much. I have been thinking about it quite a bit though the past few days.
I have checked Wikipedia to see if there is any sacred things the Easter Bunny or eggs represent. There isn't. It's all about Fertility. In fact he word "Easter" etymologically comes from an ancient pagan goddess of the spring named Eostre.

I do know that I don't want my kids to come away from the greatest day of history thinking it had anything to do with some stupid rabbit or candy or tulips or ugly pastel clothes you only wear once a year.

So what does a dad do? Do we do Easter baskets filled with all kinds of unhealthy things for my kids that they really don't need or want? What do I say when the Easter Bunny terrifies my kids in Sam's Club? Do I tell them he comes at Easter to leave little chocolate droppings all over the house? I haven't found many resources for parents in this department from a Christian perspective. I have run into people who are so against Santa at Christmas but somehow OK with crazy pastel bunnies, and I have been a bit confused. If any day should not be messed with shouldn't it be Easter? Isn't this the day our faith hinges on. If Easter didn't happen we would still be slaughtering stuff and living in Leviticus.

So that's where I'm at now...
I'd love to hear any ideas of what you are doing for Easter with your family. If you have a different perspective on the whole Easter Bunny thing, I'd love to hear how you do it without minimizing the real meaning. My goal is not to become legalistic, but more intentional.

My thought at this point is to keep it on Christ the focus with no distractions. I want to emphasize Holy week and what happened this week to my kids. Tonight we are going to a Maundy Thursday service, tomorrow is Good Friday. Sunday is about the risen Christ who purchased our salvation. I cannot seem to find a place for Easter Bunnies or Baskets!


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Seth- We don't do Easter bunny and haven't talked about him at all- although she's gotten cards w/ him on there. But I must confess I bought the whole egg dye kit- and that I mainly bought b/c I loved doing it as a kid and I think Lucy will too. I think there is actually some christian meaning - but I didn't/don't have the meaning first - same w/ Christmas tree though.

Anonymous said...

I must say I love that picture of the rabbit!!! I laughed when I saw it! It makes the sweet little fluffy thing look like a horrible rabid beast of the animal kingdom that you woudn't want to cross. I wonder how they got such a great picture?

Carla said...

We do Easter Tomb Cookies on Saturday night. You can google the recipe.
We also hide Resurrection Eggs which I bought at NW Bookstore.
No bunnies in this house but, Patrick already asked if I was going to buy some candy. :)